Screenshot Progress Update!

I've made a lot of progress recently focusing on refining my procedural planets and atmospheres.  Added into the mix are multi-core particle systems, procedural nebula and AI.  I'm almost ready to post videos but am excited that I have now fully tied in the galaxy to the rest of the engine, meaning totally seamless travel between every star in the galaxy all the way from warp-drive-speeds down to landing on and running around planets in first-person.

Enough talk, here are some screenshots of my recent explorations :


Some kind of desert planet, looks a little bit like Australia!


Here's a shot of my prototype cloud system.  The clouds are image based, the idea being to use a particle system or maybe cellular automata on the GPU to create procedural cloud maps for each planet.  The clouds are incorporated into the atmosphere scattering shader, meaning that they get nice sunset lighting and they also cast shadows into the atmostphere.  Plus you can place objects in, and fly through the clouds seamlessly.



Flying down to and then crash-landing on a planet somewhere


The atmosphere shader now shades the sun very nicely at sunrise, giving it that deep red glow!




Some random exploration screenshots


Showing off the procedural moons as well as planets


Taking a cruise early in the morning


This solar system has a dark sun, making everything gloomy and spooky


Looking up at the sun from a crater on a moon


Taking off from some kind of pink-crystals planet


This planet has a huge crater lake on it


A valley of forest in a grove of crystals



Just exploring some more planets




Now that I have AI spaceships and have implemented combat, the game is starting to feel like a real game more than a space sandbox!


Comments

  1. wow! that's something i want to give it a try! looks promising!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Give me about 4 more years and it'll be done :) But it desperately needs artists..

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd love to help out on the art side - if you're interested :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much, I'd love any help on the art side.

      The game is not ready for final assets, so I'm reticent to spend too much time on artwork, since it may require redoing.

      But any art created now would be awesome to help polish the demo, as well as help enhance the art pipeline.

      Delete
  5. Hey this looks great! I've a space game blog at spacegamejunkie.com, and would love to know more about your game and maybe give it some coverage, if you could provide me with a build. Hit me up using https://www.spacegamejunkie.com/contact/ if you would, please!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, hey I've read your spacejunkie blog from time to time :) When I think the game is ready for demoing, I'd really appreciate any coverage so I'll definitely get in contact with you and send you a playable version. I can't make any promises for when since this is still an after-hours project for me, and I don't want to rush it:)

      Delete
  6. Looks spectacular! You mentioned you desperately need artists. Have you considered looking into something like Kickstarter to get the funding you need? With a small soft launch (posting information about it here and other places and letting people know your plans to kickstart), a playable demo (even just a small one like where your pictures have come from) and a decent video about where its at and where you're taking it, you could very likely raise all the money you need given how it looks right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much! Yes I've considered Kickstarter, I think something along those lines will definitely be needed to finish this project. Right now, if i wanted to get serious, I would need to raise money to fund myself for a year to finish the gameplay code and help artist tooling, and some unknown-as-yet amount of artists. But more likely I'll wait until I've finished the gameplay, and then try to kickstart for artwork as I'll have a much better idea just how much content is needed

      Delete
  7. Hey, Phill!
    Thank you for your work and magnificent game.
    Why you don't try to contact whith SpaceEngineer and his project space engine? Look at this video!
    https://youtu.be/rswRCT3097g

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Space Engine is super awesome! Amazing graphics, the guy who wrote it is a machine

      Delete
  8. What about to testing your game? :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Phil,
    Wow!!! This looks amazing!!! I'm developing a procedural space sim for GearVR at the moment however nowhere near as advanced as this.
    I saw you're in Eumundi - we're practically neighbours!!! I'd love to hit you up and talk code sometime over a good drink :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey sorry, I didn't see this earlier! Would love to meet sometime. Got any screenshots or anything for your GearVR project?

      Delete
    2. Hey Phill - likewise, I didn't get this reply till now!
      Feel free to email me so we can arrange something :D
      otoriscorp@gmail.com

      Delete
  10. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Crap, man, please do something with this fucking spam...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aye sorry, just saw it! stupid damn spammers

      Delete
  13. More than a year without update(

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Rendering Nebulae

2022 Screenshot Update